Part of being an adult is doing things you just don’t want to do, so I’m sure most of you have tolerated an occasion that you would have given anything to avoid. Since I’m sure you all have silent suffering down pat, I have a few suggestions for making it through a dreaded event without the agony. Check them out, and
- There’s no point in fretting about it if you know you have to go somewhere or do something, so stop dreading it. Don't let a future event that you have no control over ruin your mood now.
- Make the best of the situation by trying to find one redeemable thing about participating in something you don’t want to do. Maybe you can connect with an old friend or learn something valuable. Or maybe the biggest thrill is just being able to say you did it. Whatever it may be, focus on it whenever the going gets tough.
- Find the humor in everything. Being able to laugh can make an otherwise miserable situation actually enjoyable.
- Give yourself something else to think about, like what you’re going to treat yourself with when you’re finished, or how you’ll describe the whole situation to a friend. Removing your mind from the situation will definitely make time go by faster.
- Just relax! Since you have to do it, you might as well take a few deep breaths and get through it without letting frustration and anxiety take over. It will be so much more pleasant if your blood pressure isn’t skyrocketing.