Changing your hair color can be so much fun, especially if you're in need of a new look but don't want to lose your length. Your hair color says a lot about who you are so if you're one that feels like you practically live in the salon, here are some tips to help your color last longer.
Click here to
- Make sure you like and trust your colorist. He or she doesn't have to be the best stylist in town, but they do need to be the best person for you
- Keep in mind that highlights have a smoother grow out period than all over color. They also look more natural, especially during the summer time when your hair tends to get naturally lighter from the sun
- Always condition your hair. The better condition your hair is in to begin with, the longer your color will hold
- You should aim to get your hair colored every 6-8 weeks depending on how fast your hair grows. Keep in mind that colorists book up quickly so it's best to make your next appointment before leaving the salon so you don't end up in a jam - or three inch roots
- Try to go as long as possible without washing your hair after getting it colored. Let the color settle and when you finally do have to breakdown and give it a good shampoo, rinse with cold water to close the cuticles of your hair
- Whatever color you are, use matching color enhancing products - remember to buy both the shampoo and the conditioner - they only work when used together
- Keep your color treated hair out of the sun if possible. Not only will it dry out your hair, but it will also wreak havoc on your color. Also, avoid chlorine at all costs. The chemicals can strip your color and even turn blonde hair green - no, it isn't a myth!
I hope these tips help and have fun with your color, you only live once!