August is the busiest month of the summer when it comes to traveling. Now that airport delays are at record highs, many people are hitting the open road - but with so many people having the same idea, you have to deal with traffic. If you're anything like me, you loathe the slow crawl so here are some tips to keep you sane behind the wheel.
- Getting in the right state of mind is key. If you're heading out of town for the weekend, especially a holiday weekend, come to terms with the fact that you're most probably going to hit traffic - there's just nothing you can do about it
- Come prepared. Make sure you have snacks, water, gum, good music, DVD's for your kids, and a map. There's nothing worse than getting lost - it will only add more time in the car
- Wear comfortable clothing and dress in layers. If you're traveling with other people, some might like it warm whereas some might like it cool, so dress for both temperatures
- Bring back the good old car games from when you were a kid. They may sound stupid now, but they pass the time. "Would you rather" is one of my all time favorite games to play no matter where I am
- If you're really antsy, offer to drive - you can't be bored when you're concentrating on the road ahead
I hope these tips help and drive safely!