If you're anything like me, you very rarely have time to sneak out of the office for a lunch break, which leaves you with no other place to eat your lunch then at your desk. Below are some tips to live by when you can't break away for a quick bite.
Click here to
- Respect your office mates and don't eat foods that will smell up the room. Stay away from fish, cooked broccoli, eggs, cheese etc.
- When you eat at your desk, you're less focused on your lunch, which can lead to over-eating. Try not to multi-task and concentrate more on your food, just like you would if you were at a restaurant
- Avoid fast food restaurants and unhealthy take out restaurants. If you can, bring your lunch so you can make the right food choices
- Be sure not to let your food sit out unrefrigerated for more than three hours. If you have a fridge in your office kitchen, put your lunch in it when you get into the office
- Spills are inevitable when eating at your desk. If you can, use a place mat and always remember to wipe down your desk before getting back to work
- Move your key board and any important papers away from where you eat, you don't want to splatter on your documents or computer
- Always throw your garbage away in the kitchen or away from your desk. Leaving food containers in your cube or office will stink up the room all day
- No matter how busy you are, try to get out of the office at least once a week for lunch -- you work hard and deserve a break every once in a while
Lunch breaks are meant for just that, so make sure you take a few breaks through out your day to get your legs moving, your blood flowing, and a few breaths of fresh air!