Sixty-five million people are living with STDs in the United States, and each year 15 million people contract one or more infections. Yet it's one of the most under-recognized health problems in the country. Here's a breakdown of just how surprisingly common they are.
- 20 percent of people in the US has an STD.
- 50 percent of sexually active youths will contract an STD by 25.
- 20 percent of high-school girls have an STD.
- 1 in 5
people over 12 have genital herpes as a result of type one or two herpes, though most genital herpes are from type two.
- Only around 10 to 25 percent of people infected with genital herpes know they have it.
- 15 new STDs are reported by porn actors and actresses each week.
- Chlamydia is the most common STD. Women are three times more likely to be infected than men; however, it is thought to be due to the higher number of women screened for it.
- HIV is the least common with 20,000 new cases per year.
Are you surprised?