Iowa organization The Family Leader has written up a two-page marriage vow it hopes politicians will say "I do" to. Aiming to save the ever-embattled "sanctity of marriage," the group wants politicians to promise to promote marriage between one man and one woman because it "protects innocent children, vulnerable women, the rights of fathers, the stability of families, and the liberties of all American citizens." This week Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann became the first to sign.
Let's take a look at the most outrageous lines in the pledge, including a suggestion that African-Americans were better off under slavery.
- Slavery had a disastrous impact on African-American families, yet sadly a child born into slavery in 1860 was more likely to be raised by his mother and father in a two-parent household than was an African-American baby born after the election of the USA's first African-American President.
- Social protections, especially for women and children, have been evaporating as we have collectively "debased the currency" of marriage. This debasement continues as a function of adultery; "quickie divorce;" physical and verbal spousal abuse; non-committal co-habitation; pervasive infidelity and "unwed cheating" among celebrities, sports figures and politicians; anti-scientific bias which holds, in complete absence of empirical proof, that non-heterosexual inclinations are genetically determined, irresistible and akin to innate traits like race, gender and eye color; as well as anti-scientific bias which holds, against all empirical evidence, that homosexual behavior in particular, and sexual promiscuity in general, optimizes individual or public health.
The pledge then outlines numerous bullets a candidate vows to personally uphold. Read some of them below.
- Personal fidelity to my spouse.
- Vigorous opposition to any redefinition of the Institution of Marriage — faithful monogamy between one man and one woman — through statutory-, bureaucratic-, or court-imposed recognition of intimate unions which are bigamous, polygamous, polyandrous, same-sex, etc.
- Steadfast embrace of a federal Marriage Amendment to the U.S. Constitution which protects the definition of marriage as between one man and one woman in all of the United States.
- Humane protection of women and the innocent fruit of conjugal intimacy — our next generation of American children — from human trafficking, sexual slavery, seduction into promiscuity, and all forms of pornography and prostitution, infanticide, abortion and other types of coercion or stolen innocence.