Last night Miss Venezuela Ivian Lunasol Sarcos Colmenares was crowned Miss World 2011. And while there were the expected pageant waves, tears, sparkly dresses, and plastered-on smiles, there's more to the 60-year-old beauty pageant than meets the eye. Here are some of the fun and juicy tidbits about Miss World that you may not know:
- Venezuela is the country with the most Miss World wins, Ivian is the sixth to be crowned!
- Miss World is the oldest major international beauty pageant, having begun in the UK in 1951, a year before Miss Universe.
- The pageant controversially chose Nigeria's capital Abuja as the host city for the final in 2002, despite the country having a woman awaiting a death-by-stoning sentence for adultery. Many of the contestants boycotted the pageant, and ultimately it was moved to London.
- Feminist protesters scared host Bob Hope when they tossed flour bombs at the pageant in 1970.
- The US had a poor showing when the first American to win, 1973's Miss World Marjorie Wallace, had to give up her crown 104 days in because she wasn't living up to her royal responsibilities.
- Several countries boycotted the 1976 pageant because South Africa had both a black and white representative. It wasn't until 1991 that the country changed its policy and was allowed back to the competition.
- Miss World's 1980 winner, Gabriella Brum of Germany, resigned a day after the pageant, saying her boyfriend didn't approve. But in reality, Gabriella got the boot due to some naked magazine photos she had taken.
See more photos of Miss World Ivian looking like beauty pageant Barbie now!