Got your passport and itchy feet in search of a vacation destination? Consider this first. It's not a scared-straight story on global warming I promise — it's a traveler's perspective on how the world's climate and it's info served up like a gorgeous guidebook — and, I'll admit, food for thought. ProTraveller put together this list of 20 places that are ripe to change dramatically if the world heats up — and it's a where's where of dream vacations.
Here's part of their list, and some info that caught my eye:
- Great Barrier Reef, Australia
- Virgin Islands, Caribbean
- Cook Islands, Pacific Ocean
- Galapagos Islands, Pacific Ocean (pictured here)
- Belize Barrier Reef, Belize
- Red Sea Reefs, Egypt
- Tokyo, Japan — This major international city is in some serious danger; its temperatures have been rising five times faster than the average global warming rate around the world.
- London, United Kingdom — Scientists say that the city could be underwater as early as within the next one hundred years.
- New York City, USA
- New Orleans, USA
- Jakarta, Indonesia — The capital city of Indonesia has already experienced serious flooding last year, which many believe was a direct result of the climate change affecting the world. With more than twenty million people living in its metropolitan area, Jakarta is a city that has a lot to lose if the global warming issue continues unabated.