We're happy to present this excerpt from one of our favorite sites, YourTango. Today, find out if you're second date material.
Ever wonder why your initial dates rarely lead to a great dating relationship? Find out if you're unknowingly doing or saying 10 things to turn off a potential love match and discover what to do instead if you want to find great love and create a great relationship. Below are 10 warning signs that you are a rude date and a few suggestions on what to do instead!
- You're late! You arrive late for a date or change plans last minute instead of honoring your date's feelings and your commitment to be together as planned.
- You're distracted! You stare at attractive people who pass by or allow distractions of cell phones, text messages and/or silent vibes to interrupt your dating conversation instead of devoting your full attention to your date. Remember, where your attention goes your affection grows!
- You lie! You exaggerate your accomplishments and dating goals in hopes of getting laid instead of being honest about your life resume or your desire for a casual fling, so that your date can decide if your life experiences and dating goals are a good match.
- You're depressing! You bog down the mood with heavy, negative stories from your past instead of starting fresh and creating exciting new stories on your own with your new potential love match.
- You're intense! You pressure a commitment quickly or invite a date to an event two months later instead of allowing time to get to know each other and discovering if you can create a solid dating relationship based on shared values, chemistry and complementary interests.
- You're lazy! You use electronic communication to confirm dates or to keep track of your date's online dating activities instead of making a human connection your priority and dealing with dating issues face-to-face.
- You're self-centered! You control conversations with a monologue about yourself instead of finding common ground, asking about your date and becoming an active listener as an act of love.
- You're judgmental! You pass judgment, put down your date's dreams or suggest that your date change to fit your ideals instead of accepting your date — quirks and all — as you determine if you are a compatible love match.
For the rest of the signs, head to YourTango: 10 Signs You're A Bad Date
Written by Hadley Finch for YourTango.
More from YourTango:
- 5 Signs Your Are Dating a Snob
- Hard Work Ahead: Are Relationships Really Worthwhile?
- 4 Things That Can Kill Any New Romance