With all this wall-to-wall Dem coverage, what with the convention and Biden and all, I needed a little palate cleanser — a little sorbet for the conservative soul, if you will. I found this juicy list of answers to all of your McCain mysteries. Here are the top 10 things I didn't know about him — hamsters, fried turkeys, and all:
- He's a thespian! He played the part of Scrooge in the POWs' staging of A Christmas Carol while being held in Hanoi.
- Email or no, he stays in touch. He chats with the men he shared a cell with in Vietnam almost daily.
- Scandalous! His parents "eloped" to Tijuana, Mexico — though McCain's grandfather accompanied them.
- He's a drill sergeant on vacation. He's a wall-to-wall planner. His children call it "Camp McCain."
- I believe this is probably one of those "Everybody Was Kung-Fu Fighting" deals— apparently he has a stuffed dancing hamster on display in his Senate office.
To see the rest, from what's he's reading to his grandkids (!), read more.
- Not on the Oprah Book Club (that I know of) but his favorite book is For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway.
- Penny for his thoughts — he carries a lucky penny in his pocket.
- All in the family: McCain has seven kids. Two he adopted from his first wife's previous marriage, one born to him and his first wife, three born to him and his second wife, and the one they adopted from Mother Teresa's orphanage in Bangladesh. This surprised me: He also has four grandchildren.
- A true extrovert, he doesn't like to be alone.
- Not particularly healthy fare, but he likes to deep fry turkeys in peanut oil. Gobblers in Goobers. Come on. That's a good one.
What do you think? Any shockers? Any explanation for the dancing hamster?