- Whitney Houston's remake of Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You" from The Bodyguard soundtrack was the longest-running number-one single of the year.
- Whoopi Goldberg's nun comedy Sister Act came out.
- Bad boy Nick Nolte was awarded People's Sexiest Man Alive.
- Then-presidential candidate Bill Clinton played the saxophone on The Arsenio Hall Show, attracting minority and young voters that may have helped him win the election that year.
- Janet Jackson's "That's the Way Love Goes" was one of the longest-running number-one hit singles.
- Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan's classic romantic comedy Sleepless in Seattle hit theaters.
- Richard Gere and Cindy Crawford were named People's Sexiest Couple Alive.
- Boy Meets World debuted during ABC's TGIF lineup.
- Clueless comes out in theaters. As if!
- Thanks to his steamy roles in Interview With the Vampire and Legends of the Fall, Brad Pitt is named People's Sexiest Man Alive.
- The longest-running number-one hit single of the year is Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men's "One Sweet Day."
- MTV's TV dating game show Singled Out debuts.
Image Source: Getty
- Titanic is the highest-grossing film.
- George Clooney is People's pick for Sexiest Man Alive.
- Elton John's tribute to the late Princess Diana, "Candle in the Wind 1997," is the longest-running number-one single.
- Fox's legal dramedy Ally McBeal debuts.
- Dawson's Creek debuts on The WB, and Sex and the City debuts on HBO.
- Cameron Diaz's hair-gel scene is made famous with the release of There's Something About Mary.
- Harrison Ford is named People's Sexiest Man Alive.
- Brandy and Monica's "The Boy Is Mine" is the longest-running number-one single of the year.
- Big hits of the year include American Pie, She's All That, Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me, and American Beauty.
- Britney Spears's ". . . Baby One More Time" is a hit.
- Napster and Winamp are popular.
- MTV's TRL is an obsession, and teen comedy Freaks and Geeks debuts on NBC, starring James Franco, Jason Segel, and Seth Rogen.
- Gilmore Girls debuts on The WB.
- Julia Roberts's powerful film Erin Brockovich hits theaters.
- For the second time, Brad Pitt is People's Sexiest Man Alive.
- Destiny's Child's "Independent Women Part I" is the longest-running number-one single of the year, and the hot graduation song is Vitamin C's "Graduation (Friends Forever)."
- Janet Jackson's "All For You" is the longest-running number-one single of the year, and Eve 6's "Here's to the Night" is the popular graduation song.
- Heartthrobs Ben Affleck and Josh Hartnett star in Pearl Harbor, one of the hot movies of the year.
- Apple introduces the iPod to the world.
- Jennifer Garner's action show Alias debuts on ABC.
- After her Destiny's Child days, Beyoncé Knowles debuted her first solo single "Crazy in Love" with future husband Jay-Z.
- Johnny Depp is named People's Sexiest Man Alive.
- Both The O.C. and One Tree Hill hit the small screen for the first time.
- Lost in Translation is one of hot movies amid blockbuster sequels like The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, The Matrix Reloaded, and Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.
- The Notebook is one of the big movies of the year.
- Bravo's fashion design reality TV show Project Runway, hosted by Heidi Klum, debuts.
- The wardrobe malfunction seen round the world occurs when Justin Timberlake exposes Janet Jackson's breast during their live halftime Super Bowl performance.
- Usher's "Yeah!" is the longest-running number-one single of the year.