We've bandaged our kids' minor cuts and scrapes dozens of times, so Rory Satunton's story is one that really got our attention. The 12-year-old New Yorker cut his arm playing basketball at school in late March, and died just days later — from septic shock brought on by bacteria that entered his body through the cut.
Satunton went to his pediatrian the day after he cut himself, complaining of pain in his leg, vomiting and a fever. He was sent to the emergency room at NYU Langone Medical Center. Unaware that an infection was contaminating his whole system, doctors believed he was simply dehydrated and sent him home with the advice to take Tylenol and drink fluids.
Read the full story (The New York Times).
What precautions do you take when dealing with your kids' cuts and scrapes?