The New Year is the perfect opportunity to take a step back and think about yourself for a moment. Whether it involves your hopes and dreams for your family or drawing up a formal list of New Year's resolutions just for you. As a wife, mother, daughter, and granddaughter, I have much to be thankful for each year, but that also leaves me with many opportunities to improve on myself. Among my resolutions for 2011 are:
- To make more time for myself. Whether that means committing to running the half-marathon that I've had my eye on or simply going for a weekly manicure, taking the time to do something for myself.
- Cooking fresh meals more often. I have the best of intentions each week, but all too often I end up reaching into the freezer to provide my boys with a hot meal, rather than cooking it from scratch.
- Picking up the phone. It's easy to send an email at midnight, joke with a friend over Facebook or simply text someone for information, but I always feel better after a phone call with family and friends.
- Plan a vacation. My husband and I have been talking about an anniversary trip (just the two of us) for the past two years. This year I am determined to do it!
- Take advantage of my city. I live in one of the most culturally rich and diverse cities in the world, but I tend to frequent the same parks, stores, and museums each week. This year, I will sign my son up for the children's art museum tours, take him to some plays, and introduce my family to restaurants that we've never tried!
What's on your list this year?