Just when you thought you couldn't take any more of the dreary Winter weather, Valentine's Day appears on our calendars. The day celebrating love adds some warm colors to an otherwise drab month, with reds and pinks that are sure to warm both big and lil hearts. Kids will love the chocolatey surprise of these red velvet cupcakes. Decorate them with little heart biscuits to add some extra flair to your celebration.
To see the recipe for Annabel's Red Velvet Valentine's Cupcakes, which can be found on her new Annabel’s Essential Guide to Feeding Your Baby & Toddler iPhone app,
¼ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
2/3 cup caster sugar
1 3/4 tbsp cocoa powder
3 tbsp red food colouring
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ cup sour cream or buttermilk
2/3 cup self raising flour
½ tsp baking soda
7 oz icing sugar, sifted
1/3 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
¼ tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp cream cheese
- Preheat the oven. Line a muffin tray with 12 paper cases.
- Whisk all of the cake ingredients together until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until about two thirds full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen & springy to the touch. Cool slightly in the tin then transfer to a wire rack.
- When the cakes are cold beat the icing sugar into the butter a little at a time until smooth.
- Beat in the vanilla extract & cream cheese until fluffy, spread the mixture over each cupcake.
- Desserts, Cupcakes