You can use black beans, chickpeas, Great Northern beans, lima beans (large or baby), navy or small white beans, pink beans, pinto beans, red beans, red kidney beans, or soybeans, but do not mix different types of beans in the same batch.
- 1 cup dried beans
- Place the beans in a medium-size pot and add enough water to cover. Cover the pot and allow the beans to soak overnight.
- Drain the beans and then return them to the pot. Add enough fresh water to cover.
- Bring the water to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer until the beans are tender:
Lima beans (large): 1 hour
Lima beans (baby): 50 minutes
Black beans, garbanzo beans, Great Northern beans, navy or small white beans, pink beans, pinto beans, red beans, red kidney beans: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Soybeans: 3 hours
- Drain the cooked beans and then puree in a food processor or blender, adding breast milk or cooking water as needed to achieve the desired consistency.
- Main Dishes, Beans