Stop scratching! Kids with sensitive skin — and their parents — know that dry, itchy, or painful skin is no joke. There's no one cause of sensitive skin. It can be hereditary, caused by harsh products, or simply from spending time outside in the cold Winter or the hot Summer. Oversensitive kiddos aren't doomed to a season full of scratching. These products will help soothe their irritated epidermis, leaving everyone (and everything) a lot calmer.
Clockwise from top left:
- Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Chamomile & Argan Oil Baby Head-to-Toe Ointment ($10): A good rule of thumb when looking for a kids' moisturizer is the greasier the better. Ointments are better than creams, which are better than lotions. Part of SheaMoisture's Organic Raw Shea Butter Baby Collection, this ointment combines the hydrating properties of shea butter with argan oil, which is naturally high in skin-softening Vitamin E. This is an amazingly multitasking product; it works great on baby's chapped lips, cheeks, hands, arms, and legs.
- Dr. Sears Baby Wipes ($3): Developed by everyone's favorite cosleeping enthusiast, Dr. Sears, these wipes are made with biodegradable, ultrasoft bamboo fabric, an incredibly gentle way to clean babies' delicate bum.
- Gentle Naturals Eczema Baby Wash ($5): Eczema is an extremely common, and uncomfortable skin ailment, for which there's no known cure. It's essentially a really bad, itchy rash, which can be red, rough, scaly, and oozing. It can't be cured, but there are ways to treat and prevent eczema flareups. It's especially important to use a mild cleanser, like this baby wash by Gentle Naturals — made with aloe, calendula, jojoba, and vitamins A, D, and E to gently cleanse, moisturize, and soothe itchy skin.
- C.O. Bigelow Lotio Mentholus No. 002 ($25): Seriously itchy kids will get real relief from this nonprescription medicated cream — not recommended for kids under 2 years old.
- Dr. Smith's Premium Blend Diaper Ointment ($13): Diaper rash is the most common skin ailment suffered by infants, and it can get bad. Applying a generous layer of a good, thick diaper cream like Dr. Smith's will create a barrier between baby's tender bum and the offending, rash-causing moisture
- Earth's Best TenderCare Chlorine Free Diapers: One of the first recommendations doctors make when a baby has diaper rash is to try switching to a different brand of diapers. Made with soft, cloth-like, chlorine-free materials, these Earth's Best diapers are free of any latex, dyes, and perfumes, which can all cause major irritation.
- Madii & Dyl Luxe Cleansing Flannels ($15): Specifically formulated for tots with skin issues, these cleansing flannels are super soft. The air spun cloth is made from eco friendly materials.
- Carter's Sensitive Skin Baby Shampoo + Body Wash Duo ($8): Classic kiddie brand Carters recently launched a line of baby bath and body products — all chemical free and hypoallergenic. This moisturizing cleanser is made without any dyes or fragrances, leaving babies clean, moisturized, and comfortable.