Books with inscriptions make for wonderful gifts, but LilSugar reader schnappycat had an even more inventive idea when it comes to incorporating children's texts in celebrations and building her son's library. Here's what she said:
We do something similar for my son's birthdays. We choose a book that matches the theme of his party and ask the guests to write a greeting inside. It acts as a guest book so we can remember who was there, but it's also a really nice keepsake. I hope to continue this tradition!
If you want to put this tip to good use, here are a couple of books that fall in line with popular party themes.
- If you're throwing an animal affair, Never, Ever Shout at the Zoo or We All Went on Safari might do.
- When pirates are walking the plank at your celebration, have them gather around to hear The Barefoot Book of Pirates.
- If it's a royal celebration, check out The Princess and the Pea.
- For an art party, try When Pigasso Met Mootisse or Art Dog.
- If the celebration is going to get kids cooking, check out Fanny at Chez Panisse.
Share your party theme and book suggestions below!