These cupcakes have ground sesame, which gives them a dense texture and a nutty consistency. If your child is allergic to sesame, you can replace the sesame with ground almonds or ground wheat germ.
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup ground sesame (or ground walnuts)
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon white sesame for decoration
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare muffin tray with cupcake liners.
- Sift together the cocoa powder, flour, flaxseeds, sesame, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together the eggs, warm water, buttermilk, oil, brown sugar, and vanilla until well blended and smooth.
- Slowly add the flour mixture into the egg mixture and mix well.
- Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full with the batter, then sprinkle each with a bit of sesame.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, and let cool.
- Desserts, Cupcakes