- 1 pound of chicken tenders
- salt and pepper
- -3 Tbsp. oil
- 1/2 cup onion, small dice
- 1 Tbsp. madras curry powder (or to taste)
- water to just cover
- pinch grated lemon zest (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. chopped chives (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. raisins
- -1/3 cup roasted salted cashews
- -1/4 cup water
- -salt and pepper to taste
- -1 kirby cucumber cut into ¼” thick rounds
- -pinch salt
- -8 slices whole wheat bread
Season the chicken tenders with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat a small pot on high heat and add the oil. Add the onion and stir. Turn heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and very soft. Add the curry powder and stir. Add the seasoned chicken tenders and just cover with water. Turn heat to medium high and boil until cooked through, about 4 minutes. Remove tenders to a plate and continue to cook the remaining liquid until about 3 Tbsp. remains. Pour over the tenders and allow to cool. Rip the tenders into bite sized chunks and mix with the raisins, the lemon zest and juice, the chives and the onions and reduced liquid. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Make the cashew puree: with a hand blender, or small blender, puree the cashews with the water and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Lightly toast the bread, then spread with the cashew puree and line with cucumber slices. Pile the curried chicken mixture in between and top with the other slice of bread.
- Main Dishes, Sandwiches