Growing up, my cousins and I used to sit through Easter brunch waiting for the egg hunt to begin. Before we started the highly anticipated contest, we topped off our perfectly pressed holiday garb with handcrafted crowns. Here's a guide to making your own Easter tiaras and masks with your little bunnies.
To get started, you will need the following items:
- Construction paper.
- White paper plates with an edge.
- Tape or a stapler.
- Cotton balls.
- Markers and other decorative items like glitter or jewels.
To craft a crown, follow the steps below:
- Take a piece of construction paper and fold it in half. Then cut the top (folded edge) of it into a design – scalloped or pointy edges. Tape the two pieces together.
- Measure your tot's head and make a mark where you will tape it.
- Decorate the topper by writing your kid's name on the paper.
- Cut out other designs like hearts, circles, or eggs and glue them onto the crown.
- If desired, use glitter or other items to polish it off.
- When finished, either glue, tape, or staple the design to fit your wee one's noggin.
To create a bunny mask, follow these directions:
- Take a paper plate and cut the center out to fit your babe's face.
- On the rim of the plate, place glue and stick down cotton balls around the edge of the plate.
- Take two more plates and cut out two long rabbit ears.
- Cut out two smaller pink ears out of construction paper and glue those to the center of the white paper plate rabbit ears.
- Staple the ears to the back of the face framing paper plate.
Optional: Outline the bunny ears with cotton balls, too.
The toppers are fun for parents and tots to decorate together. And they certainly make for great family photos.
- Fold the paper in half length wise.
- Cut off the folded edge with a cute design.
- Glue or tape the two long pieces together and make a mark where you have measured your tot's noggin.
- Photo 4
- Glue the front side of the crown so tape won't show.
- Decorate the crown.
- Gluing on details.
- Crown before connecting ends.
- Finishing touches.
- Bring the two ends together where the marking is.
- Tape the two ends together.
- Photo 12
- Finished product of two crowns!
- To make the bunny ears, start with a plain white paper plate.
- Cut the center out.
- Place glue around the edge of the plate.
- Start to press the cotton balls onto the plate.
- Keep going!
- Finish by filling in all the glue spots.
- Cut out the ears from another plate.
- Make sure you have two!
- Cut out some red or pink paper to fill in the white ears.
- Add glue to the back of the red paper.
- Place the glued paper onto the plate ears.
- When dry, staple the ears to the back of the plate.
- Voila! Bunny ears are ready.