Skip Nav
Food Hacks
19 Mom Hacks to Know For Your Child's Next Birthday
Baby
The Surprising Reason Nobody Believes These Twins Are Even Related
Target
This Cart Designed For Children With Special Needs Is Rolling Out to Target Stores Nationwide

Doctors Warn Parents About Dangers of a Popular Toy (VIDEO)

Doctors Warn Parents About Dangers of a Popular Toy (VIDEO)

Do you have any BuckyBalls, ZenMagnets, or other small, high-powered magnets in your home? If so, stop what you're doing right now and put them in a safe place.

Doctors are seeing an increase in the number of small children being rushed to the ER after swallowing rare earth magnets, which are sold as novelty toys for kids (and adults) ages 14 and up. As Maryland mom Laura Bjarnason knows all too well, this is an emergency situation.

Bjarnason's 19-month-old son, Pressley,  swallowed a whopping 18 of the magnets, but she got him to the Johns Hopkins ER quickly, where Dr. Oliva-Hemker spent hours removing them with a scope. Oliva-Hemker says Bjarnason did the right thing; parents should not wait for these magnets to pass through a child's digestive system because of the holes and blockages they can cause as they move around.

To see Pressley's X-Ray, watch the video.

Image Source: Via WLBZ2.com

Around The Web
Twin Born With Different Skin Tones
The Best Baby Products For New Moms
Dad's Facebook Message to Tired Fiancee
Not Good at Crafts
Little Boy With Down Syndrome Repeats the ABCs Except W
Bearded Dad Puts Baby to Sleep by Playing Lullaby on Piano
Why 2 Is a Great Age

POPSUGAR, the #1 independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.

Join The Conversation
ChetMC ChetMC 2 years
I'm confused why so many parents struggle in terms of getting kids to eat vegetables, and yet you hear all the time about small children drinking gasoline or bleach, and eating magnets or coins. What's up with that?
AmyDavies64881 AmyDavies64881 3 years
too bad all of our kids can't be as perfect as "user's" kid....
SarahCamden19584 SarahCamden19584 3 years
I'm sure he does User...
CoMMember13631166098074 CoMMember13631166098074 3 years
Ok at 19 months your kids should know better , my son knew at 1 year NOT to put things in his mouth unless mommy or daddy gave it to him , even if my parents gave him food he would look at us to make sure it was ok , and also why is a 19 month old playing with a 14+ toy , also what is this parent trying to say by telling people about this lol all I see is that she/he wants to tell everyone that they are in dangering there child's life and they don't watch their kids.
nicolefannin nicolefannin 3 years
Because in a perfect world, children never get into anything.....
AmandaFaux97108 AmandaFaux97108 3 years
There is a reason they say 14+. Even if she has a child that old, she and that child should be responsible enough to keep that (and any other small object) out of the reach of the little one.
AnnaTaylor75122 AnnaTaylor75122 3 years
Why is a 19month old playing with something suggested for 14 YEARS and older?
AngelaMattox AngelaMattox 3 years
the same thing happened to my daughter with the magnet balls with rods when she was five, hers went all the way through and eventually, luckily passed.
CoMMember13631166817676 CoMMember13631166817676 3 years
This happened to my son when he was 2 years old. Except it was the magnet ball that comes with the rods. Luckily my husband & myself are both CPR trained and we were able to retrieve the ball from our son's throat. I encourage every parent to check for tiny toys in your home & become certified in CPR. It saved our son's life.
Latest Moms
X