Supervising your children while they swim is a given, but what about once they get out of the pool? A South Carolina boy died one hour after swimming. According to an NBC report, fourth grader, Johnny Jackson died of asphyxiation by drowning, also known as dry drowning after he walked home from his local pool with his mother, had a bath and retired to bed for a nap. Dry drowning, which amounts for about 10 to 15 percent of all drownings or near drownings, occurs after a person swallows fresh or salt water, meaning it can happen even after a tot has been in the tub. And, the child doesn't have to ingest large amounts of fluid so parents should look for warning signs — difficulty breathing, extreme fatigue and abnormal behavior.
Around The Web
POPSUGAR, the #1 independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.
From Our Partners