The first time a person lays eyes on the Grand Tetons outside the town of Jackson, WY, it takes one's breath away — even a tot's. Nestled between mountains and national parks, the Jackson airport does not serve every major airline, but can be reached through other large hubs. Once there renting a car is a breeze and a must if one intends on taking advantage of all the area has to offer. Aside from the splendid landscape families can also soak up a week's worth of activities. Here are some of my picks!
- Alpine slide — Youngsters who like slides will jump for joy to ride the alpine slide at the Snow King resort. After riding the chairlift up the mountain, kids barrel down the pipe on a sled to the base of the hill.
- Gondola ride — If hiking isn't in the cards, a gondola trip up to the top of Teton Village will give everyone a sublime view of the valley and afar.
- Horseback ride — Lil buckaroos can saddle up for an old-fashioned trail ride through the parks with the opportunity to see wildlife, nature and get some grub along the way.
To see the rest of the exciting activities, just read more.
- Boat cruise — Surrounded by scenic lakes, visitors can schedule an early morning boat cruise and watch the mist lift off the waters, dine on a delectable breakfast, and sip on "cowboy coffee." People who don't enjoy early wake-up calls may fancy the idea of a dinner cruise instead.
- Whitewater rafting — The Snake River runs right by the town of Jackson and has rip-roaring rapids on which local float companies have the pleasure of entertaining thrill seeking visitors.
- Hiking — Whether it's a 30-minute hike or a 10-mile expedition, there's a trail for everyone in the area. From a steep incline up the Snow King right in town to a quest around Jenny Lake, trekkers will be in awe of the beauty that surrounds them.
- Rodeo — From June to August, the rodeo comes to town and brings all the bells and whistles with it. All through the Summer, the town gathers on Wednesday and Sunday nights for a lil ropin' and bull riding.
- Town square shoot out — Every day at 6 p.m., there's an old fashioned western shoot out under the antler arches right in the heart of Jackson. Kiddos will get a kick out of the costumes and parents will like the free price tag!
- Biking — People can hike and boat around the area but visitors can also rent bikes and explore paths, rivers and pedal around town while getting a little exercise.
- Fishing — All the rivers and streams provide endless fishing opportunities for line throwing families. A fly fisherman's paradise, visitors can float or simply cast into the magnificent bodies of water and hope for a nibble or two.
When it comes to an action packed vacation, there's hardly a better place than Jackson Hole, WY to provide outdoor fun for everyone.