No one misses sleep like a new mother. While it's nearly impossible to understand the shut eye impacting changes a newborn brings, it's important to be prepared. Here are a few hints on how to deal with sleepless nights during the first few weeks.
- Plan ahead while pregnant. Deep clean the house, organize the cupboards and stock the pantry so you can focus on caring for your infant instead of wasting energy on these other tasks when you get home.
- Take advantage of the hospital's nursery and sleep as much as you can while you have nurses to tend to your tot.
- Pump and let your partner take on one or a few of your child's feedings so you can grab longer stretches of shut eye.
- Soak in a warm tub to relax and hop in the shower to revive. Sometimes feeling refreshed can trick heavy eyelids into opening.
- Don't keep tabs on the clock. You might feel less tired when you aren't aware of how lil sleep you are getting.
- Stay positive. The sleep deprivation eventually ends. Remind yourself that being tired comes with the miracle of being a mother.