There are lots of ingredients to prepare, but this isn’t a hard recipe to make, and the tacos are delicious! If you don’t
have (or like) all the taco fixings, just use what you’ve got! Recipe by Catherine Newman
Purple Cabbage Slaw:
1 head red cabbage
2 carrots, scrubbed or peeled and grated
8 scallions, greens and whites, thinly sliced
¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
¼ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
For Assembling the Tacos:
Purple Cabbage Slaw
½ onion, finely chopped
1 medium-sized tomato, chopped
1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and diced
½ cup plain Greek yogurt
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 lime, quartered
For the Fish:
2 tablespoons olive, canola, or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
1 ½ pounds firm white fish, such as halibut or cod fillets
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
First, make the slaw:
1. Cut the cabbage in half and, using the knife, finely sliver it. (This is really a job for an adult.)
2. Put all the ingredients in the bowl, and toss well.
3. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 2 days.
Then, the tacos!
1. Put the purple cabbage slaw, onion, tomato, avocado, yogurt, cilantro, and lime quarters in the small bowls.
2. Put the oil, spices, salt, and garlic in the medium-sized bowl, and mix well.
3. Cut the fish into 1-inch strips, put them in the bowl, and use your fingers
to coat them with the spice mixture. Set aside.
4. Put the skillet on the stove, turn the heat to medium, and heat the skillet for 3 minutes. Add the tortillas, one at a time, and warm them on each side for about 30 seconds. Wrap the warm tortillas in the clean dish towel to keep them warm.
5. Turn the heat up to medium-high. When the skillet is hot, add the fish, and cook for 3 minutes, then use the spatula to flip the pieces over. Cook on the other side until the fish breaks easily into flakes when you poke it with
a fork, about 2 minutes.
6. Give each person two tortillas, and let everyone assemble their tacos with the ingredients they like.
- Main Dishes, Fish
- 8 servings