Fire up the grill! It's National Hamburger Month, and we're celebrating with a weekly slider that tots can get their hands around. After last week's Italian-style pizza burger, we're heading south of the border with a Mexican-inspired patty that brings a lil spice to the bun. Using healthy ground chicken, we've added chopped jalapeño chiles (which can be adjusted for your offsprings' taste buds) and Monterey Jack cheese to complement the meat. This simple recipe is a quick weeknight family fix or a dish to serve up during your kiddo's next dinner playdate.
To see the recipe,
1 pound ground chicken
1 cup chopped onion, plus more for serving
2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeño chiles
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon grill seasoning
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese
whole wheat hamburger buns
1 cup taco sauce or salsa
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, 1 cup onion, jalapenos, chili powder, grill seasoning and garlic. Form into patties.
- Heat the EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the patties and cook for 4 minutes on each side.
- When they’re almost done, top each patty with cheese and cook until melted.
- Layer the bun bottoms with lettuce, a chicken patty, taco sauce or salsa, extra onion and a bun top.
- Poultry, Main Dishes