- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- one 14-oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 1/2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 TBS ketchum
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 lb ground beef
- 1/4 lb ground veal
- 1/4 lb ground pork
- 1/3 c fresh white bread crumbs
- 3 TBS milk
- small handful of parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 TBS freshly grated Parmesan
- salt and pepper, taste
- 2 or 3 TBS canola oil, for frying
- First make the sauce. Heat the oil in a large plan and saute onion for 10 minutes, or until soft. Add the garlic, cook for 1 minute, then transfer half to a food processor. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, ketchup, sugar, oregano and vegetable broth to the onions left in the pan. bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the ground beef, veal and pork to the onion in the food processor, Whiz for a minute to chop everything, then add the bread crumbs, milk, parsley and Parmesan, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Pulse until well combined. Form rounded teaspoonfuls of the meatball mixture into about 30 small balls. You can now either fry the meatballs or bake them in the oven.
- For frying: Heat th ecanola oil in a large nonstick frying pan and fry in batches of 8-10 meatballs for 2 or 3 minutes on each side until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- For oven browning: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Put a baking sheet in the oven when you turn it on and allow it to heat up. Put 2 tablespoons of canola oil on the hot baking sheet and add the meatballs. Bake for 20 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Puree the sauce until smooth and season to taste with salt and pepper. Return to the saucepan and add the browned meatballs, using a slotted spoon. Simmer for 5-10 minutes more.
- Main Dishes, Beef