For the marinade
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sake
Half tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp caster sugar
For the rice
1 chicken breast cut into small cubes
6 oz basmati rice, rinsed in cold water and then drained
2 oz carrot, peeled and diced
4 tbsp vegetable oil
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
Salt and pepper
1 beaten egg
2 oz frozen peas
1 large spring onion, sliced
2 oz canned sweet corn
- Mix together the ingredients for the marinade and marinate the chicken for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice in boiling, lightly salted water according to the instructions on the packet .Steam the diced carrot for 8 minutes and half way through add the peas so that they are steamed for 4 minutes..
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan, add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Season the beaten egg with a little salt and white pepper, pour it into a small frying pan (approx 18cm) , tipping the pan to spread it evenly, and cook until set. Remove from the heat slide out the thin omelette and cut into fine slices.
- Drain the marinade from the chicken and reserve. Add the chicken to the onion in the wok and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes until cooked. Add the spring onion, carrots, peas and sweetcorn and cook for one minute.
- Add the cooked rice and prawns and toss the rice over a high heat for 2 minutes. Add the strips of egg and the reserved marinade from the chicken and heat through.
- Grains , Main Dishes