Sweet potato goodness! Halloween is over and done with, and as Mama stores away the costumes, she's already planning for the next upcoming holiday — Thanksgiving! Corn bread is a favorite for most holiday feasts and since sweet potato is one of the most kid-friendly veggies around, a sweet potato corn bread sounds like a sure crowd-pleaser. What makes this recipe extra special is that it's vegan. No eggs are used in this recipe — and all-purpose flour is substituted for whole wheat flour, while vegetable oil is replaced with olive oil. It's a healthy side dish for kids of all ages!
Source: Gilda Mulero of Naturally Tasty
Keep reading for the healthy, kid-friendly recipe!
Serves 8 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds 1. Preheat oven to 425°F and spray 8-inch-square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
¼ cup water
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 medium sweet potato cut in a small dice
¼ cup turbinado sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup almond milk or your favorite non-dairy milk
1/4 cup olive oil
¼ cup maple syrup
2. Bring the quarter cup of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the ground flax seed, and simmer until thickened for about 2 minutes. Set aside.
3. Place a steamer basket with water into a pan and bring to a boil. Add diced sweet potato and steam until tender, approximately 15 minutes. Remove sweet potato from pan.
4. Mash the sweet potato and set aside.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt until well-combined.
6. In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients: almond milk, ground flax seed mixture, olive oil and maple syrup.
7. Fold the wet ingredients into dry ingredients and gently fold in the mashed sweet potato to create the batter.
8. Put the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
9. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
1. Preheat oven to 425°F and spray 8-inch-square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.