- 250g spinach, washed
- 9 sheets dried, instant lasagne
- 2 chicken breast fillets, about 110g each, thinly sliced
- 60g butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 60g plain flour
- 350ml chicken stock
- 300ml milk
- 110g cheddar, grated
- 50g freshly grated parmesan (reserve about 4 tablespoons for the topping)
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to season
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Melt the butter in a medium pan and sauté the onion for 5-6 minutes until softening and just starting to turn golden. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the stock and milk. Cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens and comes to a simmer. Remove from the heat, cool for a minute, then stir in the cheddar, parmesan and nutmeg.
2. Cook the spinach in a large pan until wilted. Cool, then squeeze out as much liquid as possible and chop roughly.
3. Put a thick layer of sauce in the bottom of a 24cm x 15cm ovenproof dish and add a layer of lasagne sheets. Scatter over half of the spinach and chicken, and spoon over one-third of the sauce. Add a further layer of lasagne, and repeat layers of spinach, chicken, sauce and lasagne. Top with the remaining sauce and sprinkle over the reserved parmesan. Bake for 40-45 minutes until piping hot in the centre. Allow to stand for 15 minutes before serving.
- Pasta, Main Dishes