When my daughter was just a wiry wee thing, I laid her on the bed next to me while I put my sneakers on. In a second's time, she plopped on the floor screaming her scared lil head off. In a panic, I phoned the pediatrician fearful I had harmed my sweetheart. Having heard this story a hundred times before, she calmed my nerves and cautioned me to look for certain problematic signs. Thankfully my girl was unharmed.
Having learned my lesson with my firstborn, I was sure I would not make the mistake again. Then, the other day my precious son took a spill off of his big sister's bed. As I put pigtails in her hair, he tumbled right off the bed with a heavy thud. After two terrifying experiences, I know now not to leave a mobile baby unattended on the bed.