After seeing BabySugar's ghostly cupcakes, I wanted to bake something Halloweenish for my wee ones. I was thrilled when I found these simple and adorable marshmallow skulls – a perfect decoration for a Halloween baked good. With only a bag of marshmallows, color sprinkles and a knife, I turned a regular marshmallow into a spooky skull.
Rather than make elaborate chocolate-coated Madelines as the recipe called for, I made a simple brownie recipe. I cooked the brownies in a muffin tin for easy individual servings. Rather than coat the brownies in frosting to attach the skulls, I waited for the brownies to cool slightly and the warmth melted the marshmallows just enough. If you want to decorate your tasty treats with spooky and squishy skulls, keep reading.
- For the Skulls
For the Brownies
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
4 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), coarsely chopped
1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoons vanilla
- For the marshmallows skulls, use a knife trim a sliver from 2 sides of the bottom of each marshmallow at an angle for a tapered chin.
- Cut a slit above chin for a mouth.
- Using a toothpick, poke 2 holes halfway down each marshmallow for eyes and 1 in between for a nose.
- Pour sprinkles onto a plate. They will be different sizes; choose 1 small and 2 large for each. Insert small sprinkle for nose and larger sprinkles for eyes.
- For the brownies, Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a muffin tin.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl in the microwave. Stir occasionally to avoid burning.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
- Whisk together sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl, then pour in chocolate mixture, whisking until combined well. Whisk in flour mixture, then stir in walnuts and transfer batter to muffin tin.
- Bake until top is shiny and set and sides have begun to pull away slightly (a wooden pick or skewer will not come out clean), about 20-25 minutes.
- When brownies are warm to the touch, remove from muffin tin and place marshmallow on top.
Makes 12 individual brownies.
- Desserts, Brownies
Do you have a scary or sweet recipe that your tots love? Share it with other mamas in The Children's Table group over in the LilSugar Community!
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.