- 3/4 pound macaroni
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup grated Gruyère
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 3/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped (optional)
- 1/3 cup sliced ham, shredded (optional)
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs (about 2 slices bread, white or wheat, crusts removed)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Cook the pasta in plenty of lightly salted boiling water according the packet directions.
Melt the butter, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add the milk, stirring over a low heat for 5 to 6 minutes. Take off the heat, stir in the Gruyère and Parmesan until melted, then the mascarpone cheese.
Drain the pasta, return to the pan, add the cheese sauce and heat through gently. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and shredded ham, if using.
Transfer to a greased ovenproof dish (approximately 9 in x 5 in x 2 in). Mix together the breadcrumbs and Parmesan and sprinkle on top. Place under a preheated grill until golden and bubbling.
Note: Suitable for freezing.
- Pasta/Noodle, Side Dishes