While avoiding makeup all together is the best bet for keeping tots safe, here are a few other actions moms can take to keep lil ones looking like their favorite characters without exposing them to added toxins:
- Make your own Halloween makeup with all-natural ingredients. We've found recipes for realistic looking goop (wounds, warts, etc.), face paint, fake blood, and fairy glitter.
- Create your own hair spray to achieve nontoxic spikes, Mohawks, and curls.
- Polish off lil looks with nontoxic nail polishes like Hopscotch Kids, Suncoast, or Piggy Paint.
- Seek out non-Halloween organic makeup, such as Luna Organics Pixi Kit to achieve kids' desired looks.
- Trade in mama's red lipstick for a tinted beeswax balm that is safer to lil ones who tend to ingest it.