There's never a shortage of news in the parenting world — from new studies to differing parenting styles. It all provides us with fodder to discuss on the playground, in the pickup line, and online. Take a look at the five stories that had our moms talking the most this week.
- Five Signs You're Being a "Peerent," Not a Parent
For the second week running, this tongue-in-cheek look at being a parent instead of trying too hard to be our kids' BFFs made our list of popular stories! Some of our readers got a kick out of the movie and TV references to some of the most cringe-worthy parents of the big and small screen, while others couldn't help but take offense at our suggested tactics.
- At What Age Do You Leave Your Children Home — Alone? When a parenting topic strikes a personal chord with one of our editors, we're always curious to see where our readers will weigh in. After polling you to get some feedback on when it's appropriate for kids to be left home alone, the consensus was that it's really not smart, or safe, until they hit the double digits. Most readers agreed that 12 was the magic number that makes a child responsible enough to hold down the fort — for a short amount of time — on their own.
Keep reading to see what else had our reader talking this week!
- The Story Behind "Love You Forever" Is Probably Not What You Thought Whether you love it or prefer to leave it on the shelf, the book Love You Forever has made its way into almost every mom's reading repertoire at some point. Our friends at BabyCenter discovered the inspiration for author Robert Munsch's sweet, emotional story about the undying bond between a mother and child, and it's not what we ever would have expected. The story behind the story really seemed to resonate with our readers this week.
- Slow Cook to Speed Up Your A.M. Routine: Nine Crock-Pot Breakfast Recipes We were already well aware that our readers love a good Crock-Pot classic, so pair that with a way to speed up busy weekday mornings, and this story was a surefire recipe for success.
- Are These 3D Babies a Cool Concept or Just Creepy? When we caught wind of these incredibly lifelike 3D Babies' Indiegogo campaign, we couldn't wait to solicit your reactions. Some moms thought they were an incredible way to commemorate a fleeting moment in their children's (early) lives — others were just plain creeped out.