Starting grains with your baby doesn't have to be bland. Add some flavor to your lil one's diet with this simple and tasty recipe. If you've never cooked quinoa before, don't worry — it's easier than you think. Found in most grocery stores, quinoa is packed with everything good for developing bodies and brains. The small, round grain is high in protein and antioxidants, perfect for growing babes. Quinoa also has a slight crunch, making this baby-food blend perfect for teething tots!
Keep reading for the simple recipe.
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 cup steamed and chopped carrot
1/2 cup water
This recipe is so easy to prepare, and your lil will love the sweetness of the banana and carrot!
- To prepare the quinoa, bring two cups water to a boil and then add one cup dry quinoa. Allow to simmer over medium heat until all water has absorbed, which takes about 10 minutes. Stir the quinoa often to keep from clumping or burning to the bottom of the pan.
- You'll notice the quinoa opens, or releases a curl, changing its small, round shape. Once cooked, cover with a lid and let sit for 10 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooling, chop and measure the carrots and then steam until fork tender.
- Measure and add one cup of the cooked quinoa to a blender. Peel the banana, break apart, and add to the blender along with the steamed carrot. Pour in the water, cover the blender, and pulse until the baby food comes together. You can also use a hand blender to puree.
- If the blend is too thick, thin with additional water, formula, or breast milk.
- For additional flavor, sprinkle with cinnamon, which is also helpful in soothing sore, teething gums!
This recipe makes two cups of baby food that your lil will love. Freeze leftovers in an ice-cube tray and pop out single servings when needed. Let come to room temperature in a small bowl or warm in the microwave.
- Main Dishes