Bread pudding is usually a sweet dish and often served for dessert. But who says you can't mix it up and serve it for breakfast? This savory twist on bread pudding uses salty lean ham, nutty Gruyere cheese, and a little bit of Dijon mustard to balance the two. Next time you're looking for a new breakfast idea or dish to serve at brunch, try this savory bread pudding. We think you'll love it!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
6 slices of bread, diced
1/2 cup lean ham, diced
1 cup aged Gruyere cheese, shredded (could also use Swiss)
1 and 1/2 cups Lactaid Reduced Fat 2% milk or Lactaid Whole Milk
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1. Spray or grease an 8x8 baking dish and place half of the cubed bread in the bottom of the dish.
2. Place the diced ham and the cheese on top of the layer of bread.
3. Top with the remaining bread cubes.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the milk, Dijon, salt, and pepper.
5. Pour the milk mixture over the bread, pressing down to let the milk soak into the bread.
6. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden and the the bread pudding is set.
7. Cool 5 minutes before serving.
The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, POPSUGAR.