A 19-month-old Maine boy fell out of a third story window earlier this week and luckily, walked away unharmed. His mother had set him down for his nap and turned on a monitor, but Aidan DeBeck still managed to push or fall through an open window screen. When it comes to children's safety and avoiding window falls, parents should take these precautions.
- Consider screened windows open windows. Shut them.
- Invest in window locks, strong children may be able to open a window in minutes.
- Windows high off the ground are dangerous as kids can climb on furniture to get up to them.
- Children are products of their parents so set a good example. Don't lean out windows to chat with people outside or encourage your lil one to wave goodbye from them. You might have good balance, but that doesn't mean your offspring does.
- Talk to your tots about the dangers of dangling things, including themselves, out windows.