- 7 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablesoons self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- 6 ounces white rolled fondant icing (made by Wilton)
- 3 tablespoons apricot jam
- Red sour gummy tape (belts/strips) for the scarves
- Tubes of colored Writing Icing (available in supermarkets)
- Sugar decors or silver dragees (for decoration)
Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Put the softened butter, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder and vanilla essence into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for a few minutes until the mixture is well combined, light in color, and fluffy.
Line a muffin pan with 8 paper liners and divide the cake batter between them, filling the liners about two-thirds full. Bake for about 20 minutes until the cupcakes are risen and lightly golden and firm to the touch. Lift the cakes (still in their paper liners) out of the pans and leave them to cool on a wire rack.
Dust a clean work surface with confectioners’ sugar and roll out the rolled fondant icing to about 1/4”. Cut out 8 circles using a small round biscuit cutter that is the same size as the top of your cakes. Put the apricot jam into a small dish and stir in 1 tablespoon of hot water, then brush this over the surface of the cakes and stick the circles of icing on top.
To decorate the cakes use marshmallows for the snowmen’s heads, black writing icing for the eyes, red writing icing for the smiles and sugar decors for noses (stick them on with a dot of Writing Icing). Stick the heads on the cakes using a little apricot jam, then stick on the sugar decor buttons. Wrap sour gummy tape around the snowmen’s necks for scarves. If using silver dragees for decoration remove them before eating.
MAKES 8 SNAZZY SNOWMEN
- Desserts, Candy