12 oz plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt (half)
4 oz butter
6 oz soft brown sugar
4 tbsp golden syrup
different colored fruit flavored boiled sweets (such as Jolly Ranchers)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Mix the flour, baking soda, ginger and salt into a bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar. Beat together the egg and golden syrup and mix into the flour mixture to make a smooth dough, kneading lightly with your hands.
- Crush the sweets in their wrappers using a rolling pin. Sprinkle flour on a clean work surface and roll out the dough until about 1/4in thick, then cut into shapes using a selection of Christmas cookie cutters. Transfer to lined baking sheets.
- Cut out shapes in the center of each cookie, making sure you leave a good edge all around the cookie. Completely fill the hole in each cookie with crushed boiled sweets.
- Make a hole at the top of each cookie using a drinking straw so that you will be able to thread a ribbon through it later. Bake for 11-12 minutes until golden
- While the cookie are still warm, check the holes are still there, otherwise push a straw through again. Do not remove the cookie from the baking tray until they have cooled as the boiled sweets need to harden. Once the sweets have hardened, gently lift the cookie onto a wire rack with a palette knife to finish cooling.
- You can decorate the cookie with piped white icing. Thread ribbons through the holes to make loops for hanging.
- Cookies, Desserts