- Maintain a consistent nap time. If your tot's classroom has scheduled nap time for 1 p.m., stick to the same schedule at home — and that includes weekends.
- Send your lil one to school with her lovey — but with clear directions for the teachers that it's only to be taken out at nap time.
- Preschoolers love to feel like they are making their own decisions. Let them feel like they're part of the process by choosing a special nap mat for the new school year.
- It's important for a toddler to fall asleep on his own at night. If they can't figure out how to self soothe in their own environment, there's no chance they'll just drift off in a classroom, on the floor, surrounded by other kids and distractions.
- Nap time can be anxiety producing for restless tots. Talk to your tots about what will be expected, and reassure them that it's OK if they can't sleep; but, they will have to find a quiet activity to do, like reading or coloring, so as not to disturb the other students.