Choosing to be surprised by the sex of your baby is well worth the wait, but it can be a bit cumbersome when your nesting instinct kicks in and it comes time to prepare the nursery. Here are a few design tips when you're not inclined to think pink.
- Go mellow with yellow. There's nothing like bringing a bit of sunshine indoors with a slathering of paint. This works particularly well if the nursery's small or lacking natural light.
- Walk on the wild side — mix colors to create whimsy between the walls. Splashes of red, orange, green, and purple will stimulate baby. A mural done free hand or with stencils can be high on impact and easy on the budget.
- Modern baby bedding can add just the right geometric touch to a room. Dwell and Babylicious are two brands to check out.
- Make furniture the focal point. Whether you choose white washed shabby chic, or rich tones of cherry wood, all are baby friendly.
- Suspend items from the ceiling. Forget the old mobile over the bed — give baby something interesting to look at soaring airplanes, shooting stars, or flying bugs.