"Dirt" cake was one of my favorites as a child but, let's be honest, the Oreo cookie crumbles and gummy worms still didn't make it that realistic.
That's not the case here with my friend Samantha's kitty litter cake. It looks so believable, I have trouble ignoring the unsavory appearance. However, it's actually quite delicious, and makes a nice cake for a true cat lover... if they can get past the looks that is!
Scoop the recipe for yourself, and read more
In addition to measuring cups, bowls, pans, and a mixer/food processor, you'll need:
1 German chocolate cake mix, prepared
1 white cake mix, prepared
2 large packages vanilla instant pudding mix, prepared
1 large package vanilla sandwich cookies
Green food coloring
1 small package Tootsie Rolls
1 new kitty litter pan
1 new plastic kitty litter pan liner
1 new pooper scooper
- Prepare both cake mixes according to package instructions, and let cool.
- Prepare both packages of pudding according to package instructions, and chill in refrigerator.
- Crumble white sandwich cookies in small batches into food processor, scraping often. Set aside all but 1/4 cup.
- Add a few drops green food coloring to the 1/4 cup cookie crumbs, and mix until completely colored.
- When cakes are cooled to room temperature, crumble into a large bowl.
- Toss with half the remaining white cookie crumbs and the chilled pudding. Gently mix in just enough of the pudding to moisten it – you don't want it too soggy.
- Line a new, clean kitty litter box. Put the cake/pudding/cookie mixture into the litter box.
- Put three unwrapped Tootsie Rolls in a microwave safe dish and heat until soft and pliable. Shape ends so they are no longer blunt, curving slightly. Repeat with three more unwrapped Tootsie Rolls bury them in the mixture.
- Sprinkle the other half of white cookie crumbs over top. Scatter the green cookie crumbs lightly on top of everything -- this is supposed to look like the chlorophyll in kitty litter.
- Heat three more unwrapped Tootsie Rolls in the microwave until almost melted. Scrape them on top of the cake; sprinkle with cookie crumbs. Place remaining Tootsie Rolls over the top; take one and heat until pliable, hang it over the side of the kitty litter box, sprinkling it lightly with cookie crumbs.
- Place the box on a newspaper and sprinkle a few of the cookie crumbs around for a truly disgusting effect!
To check this cake out close-up: