Keep the trash safe from your nosy pets! In addition to the obvious dangers of cleaning product poisons or choking hazards, the bacteria and molds found in rotting foods can seriously endanger your furry friends . . . they can't distinguish between spoiled and fresh yums!
The millions of bacteria found in your old take-out or spoiled meat can lead to food poisoning and inflammation or bloating of the intestinal tract and abdomen (bacterial enteritis). What's more other foods like cheese, nuts, and pasta are ripe environments for a variety of molds that can produce the scary-sounding tremorgenic mycotoxins, substances that cause symptoms similar to snail bait or strychnine poisoning. If your pup has ingested these metabolites, look out for muscle tremors, spasms, seizures, and elevated temperature – it can require overnight hospital care so bring a pet to a vet if you suspect it!
Even if your trash is safely contained, learn one more risky spot pets can find these threats when you read more.
The fungi, molds, and bacteria that grow in garbage and compost can also be found in weathering fruit on the ground – so if you've got a fruit-baring tree nearby, don't let your pets eat the fallen fruit!