Skip Nav
Dogs
There Is Actually Nothing More Amazing Than a Bunch of Wiener Dogs Dressed as Hot Dogs
Animal Videos
We Really Hope the Doritos Dogs Super Bowl Ad Makes It on the Air
Dogs
Update: Senior Dog Left to Die at Animal Shelter Finds Loving Foster Family

Dog Days of Summer: Keep Pets Out of the Trash!

Keep the trash safe from your nosy pets! In addition to the obvious dangers of cleaning product poisons or choking hazards, the bacteria and molds found in rotting foods can seriously endanger your furry friends . . . they can't distinguish between spoiled and fresh yums!

The millions of bacteria found in your old take-out or spoiled meat can lead to food poisoning and inflammation or bloating of the intestinal tract and abdomen (bacterial enteritis). What's more other foods like cheese, nuts, and pasta are ripe environments for a variety of molds that can produce the scary-sounding tremorgenic mycotoxins, substances that cause symptoms similar to snail bait or strychnine poisoning. If your pup has ingested these metabolites, look out for muscle tremors, spasms, seizures, and elevated temperature – it can require overnight hospital care so bring a pet to a vet if you suspect it!

Even if your trash is safely contained, learn one more risky spot pets can find these threats when you

.

The fungi, molds, and bacteria that grow in garbage and compost can also be found in weathering fruit on the ground – so if you've got a fruit-baring tree nearby, don't let your pets eat the fallen fruit!

Source

Around The Web
The World's Best Hotel Pools
How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies
Tulum Travel Tips
Signs You've Found Your Soul Mate
Common Weight Room Fears
Best Places to Visit in Latin American
30-Day Relationship Challenge

POPSUGAR, the #1 independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.

Join The Conversation
lovelipgloss lovelipgloss 7 years
Watch out for onions! My friend's dog was hospitalized for several days after digging onions out of the trash.
lawchick lawchick 7 years
danielle that is terrible! I'm glad she ended up OK.
0danielle0 0danielle0 7 years
This happened to us. Our 2 yr old Rottweiler got into the trash right after I'd cleaned out our produce drawer. She ended up in the vet ER, completely listless, unresponsive, and frothing at the mouth. A couple days (and $1000) later, she was healthy again. Talk about a horrible experience. We had no clue what happened and we honestly thought we were going to lose her. :(
lawchick lawchick 7 years
good tips, thanks. sometimes when I'm walking my dog, he'll start eating something strange out of a neighbor's yard -- one lady puts bread out, I guess for birds or squirrels, and the dog makes a bee-line for it. I'll have to be more careful.
Latest Dogs, Cats, and Other Pets
X