Skip Nav

Dog Days of Summer: Rat Poison


While there are times I wish North had more outdoor space to frolic, quite often I'm grateful for my pooch's sheltered city lifestyle. Don't get me wrong, he still takes nice long walks . . . but I'm on the other end of the leash making sure his nose (and mouth) stay out of mischief!

While we know not to have hazardous chemicals like rat poison around the house, you can't be certain that all your neighbors behave the same way. If a pet is not decontaminated immediately after ingestion, these agents are absorbed into the blood and ultimately alter the ability of blood to clot normally.

Learn what to look for when you read more.

Since signs of poisoning are associated with internal bleeding into body cavities, look for any outward signs like blood from the nose, in urine, or bruising, for example. Vitamin K is an antidote used depending upon exposure history, decontamination, or signs of toxicity, and it's vital to get your pet to the vet immediately. Remember, it's not just dogs in danger; cats can be indirectly exposed when they ingest the poison from the gastrointestinal tract of the rodents they catch.

Source

Latest

Download Selfie to crash your favorite celeb pics

+