Skip Nav

Effects of Beer and Alcohol on Dogs and Cats

Make St. Patrick's Day a Booze-Free Affair For Pets

While many of us will be imbibing in merriment on St. Patrick's Day, it's important to keep the booze out of reach of your pet. Just as it does in humans, alcohol causes damage to an animal's brain, central nervous system, and liver, but since pets are much smaller than us, the effects can occur faster and more intensely and even lead to death. If your pet gets their paws on your bevvie, watch them closely for coordination problems, the inability to walk or stand up, drowsiness, vomiting, increased urination, and slowed, shallow breathing. If they display any of these symptoms, get them to a vet right away: these are signs of alcohol poisoning! But the best cure is to avoid it altogether: the luck o' the Irish may not be on your pet's side if he ingests that unattended Guinness.

Source: Flickr User celynek

Latest Pets