Skip Nav
Dogs
The Story of This Dog Rescued From a Meat Farm Will Absolutely Stun You
Animal Videos
In Today's Pokémon Go News, Maple the Dog Will Not Be Catching 'Em All
Dogs
14 Show Dogs Die in Hot Truck After Air Conditioning Malfunctions

Pet-Proofing Your Home: Poisonous Plants

There are many steps to pet proofing your home and, for the first in this series, we'll eliminate poisonous plants. Keep animals safe and view every item placed in pet's reach as something he or she may try to take a nibble on. Different types pose different threats so stay on top of them by checking each one in your house against the ASPCA's toxic plant list. If you find a match, please remove it from your home (or be certain it's far out of pet's reach) – you never know what pets will decide to sample.

Keeping house plants can purify the air quality in your home, and safe ones can give kitty a special snack. However, many commonly-kept plants can have negative effects on pets if ingested, including ones that can affect the heart like azaleas, rhododendron, and oleander, ones that can affect that kidney like lilies, shamrock, and rhubarb, and ones that can affect the liver like the sago palms and some mushroom varieties.

Lucky for us, the ASPCA also provides a list of non-toxic plants (including common bouquet flowers) to cross-check with. That way, if someone gives you a sweet gift, you'll know where to display it!

Source

Around The Web
Join The Conversation
aimeeb aimeeb 8 years
kiddylnd you are in fact right, they are probably one of the worst plants to have around animals. It is true that poinsettias do appear on many poison plant lists. It's place on the list, from what I gather, is rather precarious. There are some who argue that it is not "truly" toxic, but rather "highly irritating to the gastrointestinal tract." Regardless of the extent of its toxicity would you really like to risk it?
MandyJoBo MandyJoBo 8 years
Super links.
vinnie vinnie 8 years
I'm sorry...off topic here...is taht a real kitty in the window? I want to cuddle it right now!
kiddylnd kiddylnd 8 years
Well, its sort of debatable. Many resources list it, yet many don't. The leaves (when munched on) really are quite irritating to the mucus membranes and the stomach lining which can cause an adverse reaction (allergic type) in most cats and often cause death if not spotted right off, especially if the plant was also treated with a pesticide which can further irritate the areas.:(
Lovely_1 Lovely_1 8 years
Poinsettia? Really? My mom buys HUGE poinsettias every Christmas and the kitties (there's 8)love to lay in them haha. But none of them have ever tried to eat them or gotten sick form them...
kiddylnd kiddylnd 8 years
The holidays are coming, so I will mention that the Poinsettia is EXTREMELY toxic to pets, especially cats. :( We can't even keep one in the house because our cats eat plants.
Things You Need to Do in Your 20s
Daisy Fuentes Social Media Essay
Tips For Traveling Alone
First 5 Things to Do When Engaged
Should I Say Yes to Being a Bridesmaid?
Things to Do Alone
Best Things in Life That Money Can't Buy

POPSUGAR, the #1 independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.

From Our Partners
Latest Dogs, Cats, and Other Pets
X