Skip Nav
Cute Animals
If You Don't Follow This Senior Dog Facebook Page, You're Seriously Missing Out
Cute Animals
15 Instagram Accounts to Follow If You Are Utterly Obsessed With Animals
Abandoned Pittie Has Spent the Last 12 Years Smiling For the Man Who Saved Him

Ten Tips 'Til The Holiday: Antifreeze

Ten Tips 'Til The Holiday: Antifreeze

While people may not be able to easily detect its presence by spying a spill or simply smelling, pets can easily sniff it out. Antifreeze has a very good, sweet taste to pets and, if they spot it, they'll likely quickly lick it up. Even small doses of antifreeze can be lethal so be careful of any spills, and store bottles far out of any pet's grasp. Some types of antifreeze use propylene glycol instead of ethylene glycol – propylene glycol is found in many lotions and toothpastes and is less toxic to pets than the former. However, less toxic does not make it safe so, even if you stock this product, take the same precautions as you would for any dangerous chemical!

If you suspect your pet has ingested antifreeze, bring him to the doctor immediately. Vets can perform a variety of tests for this liquid – if a pet has ingested ethylene glycol, they can shine a special light on the animal's muzzle and paws . . . the ethylene makes the affected hair glow under this florescent light and speeds up the diagnosis process.


Around The Web
Join The Conversation
emsmiley emsmiley 8 years
As a child my two beautiful golden shepards died from ingesting antifreeze. Be careful!
macgirl macgirl 8 years
My good friend spent thousands of dollars on her cat that ingested a good portion of antifreeze. :-(
MandyJoBo MandyJoBo 8 years
Antifreeze has, for a while now, had an additive to make it taste bad to animals. I think only if you have antifreeze that's several years old will it be the old kind, but of course, it's different by brand.
oiseau oiseau 8 years
I lost a cat to this once - very sad.
wren1 wren1 8 years
Yeah, scary. Does this mean that lotion is also a danger? My dog always wants to lick mine off, and I try not to let him but he always ends up getting a little taste.
Lovely_1 Lovely_1 8 years
That's so scary :(
Gordon Ramsay Beef Wellington Recipe
DIY Spa Kit
Carry On Packing Tips
Why You Should Keep Your Phone Out of the Bedroom
Tips For Traveling Alone
DIY Tile Photo Coasters
First 5 Things to Do When Engaged

POPSUGAR, the #1 independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.

From Our Partners
Latest Dogs, Cats, and Other Pets