Skip Nav
Pet Advice
The Ancient Practice That Can Ease Your Dog's Nerves
Dogs
20 Plump Puppy Bellies to Put a Smile on Your Face
Animal Videos
Nervous Puppy Throws Adorable Hissy Fit After Being Told "No"

True Tails: My Dog Ate Xylitol!

Nosy noses don't always know what's safe and, while even most of my nondog owning pals know the risks of chocolate, not everyone realizes the dangers of chewing gum. While this can lodge in a pet's throat (especially if ingested paper, packaging and all), those sugar-free products are pure poison to pets.

The not-so-sweet alternative known as xylitol can cause liver failure and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), which can lead to depression, loss of coordination, and even seizures in your furry friends. TeamSugar member hanako66 shared a scary story of what happened when she fell asleep on the couch and her pups were able to knock down her purse and spill the contents. Hear the tale from her mouth when you

.

Luckily, I had read about the dangers of sugar substitutes for dogs so when I noticed a chewed up, empty package of gum, I was concerned. I quickly googled "my dog ate gum" and instantly found enough info to warrant a call to the emergency vet. They asked if the gum had xylitol in the ingredients, which it did. I rushed Bailey and Jager to the vet and they induced vomiting.

Turns out that only Bailey had ingested gum. They did blood work, which showed that she was stable enough to go home with me, but I needed to feed her constantly the next day to make sure that her blood sugar level stayed high. Please let PetSugar readers know about the dangers of xylitol so that they can react as quickly as I did – had I known quite how serious it was before, I would never have purchased the gum in the first place.

If you suspect your pet has ingested any products containing this substance (or any other risky or questionable substances), please contact your local veterinarian or the ASPCA 24-hour emergency poison hotline directly at 1-888-426-4435.

Around The Web
Join The Conversation
sugar_me_sweet sugar_me_sweet 7 years
Thank you for this story. I wouldn't want this to happen to our four legged friends.
colormesticky colormesticky 7 years
Thanks for telling us your story, hanako. I had no idea, but I'm glad your dogs are all right!
BridgetJones BridgetJones 7 years
So glad your pups are okay hanako! My little one has gotten into both chocolate and walnuts in the past... She can get into places that you would never believe - it's SO hard to keep things out of her reach. Anyway, it's been really helpful for me to know how to induce vomiting immediately, that way I can see what she's eaten and tell the vet before we come in. Plus, it makes me feel better to get it out of her right away! My vet told me to use hydrogen peroxide to do this, and there's an online tutorial here: http://www.expertvillage.com/video/16303_dog-vomit.htm
lawchick lawchick 7 years
thank you for telling us about this hanako. I'm glad your pups are ok!
hanako66 hanako66 7 years
Thank you for featuring my story....it was very scary!!
Ask a Vet: Is Sugarless Gum Containing Xylitol Toxic to Cats?
Easter Lilies Poisonous to Cats
Summer Wildflowers Toxic to Cats and Dogs
Light Banana Bread... Add Quinoa Flour for added Protein!
Which Fall Flowers Are Poisonous to Pets?
Which Fruits Are Toxic to Dogs and Cats?
Easter Basket Items That Are Dangerous to Pets

POPSUGAR, the #1 independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.

From Our Partners
Latest Dogs, Cats, and Other Pets
X