Our dog Riley is about a year old. We got him when he was around 3 months old. Here are the issues we are having with him and continue to have with him even though he has been through training:
- He was getting food aggression — he would growl when anyone came near him while he was eating. We fixed that by hand feeding him and this seems to have helped. We do not allow him around our food at all and kennel him up when we eat because he won't leave the food alone.
- Toy possession — he gets in these moods when he finds a toy he likes he won't give it up and has a death grip on it and will try biting it back if you take it away. He can't have this Kong toy (toy you put treats in) because of this or he growls if anyone comes near him. We have also worked on this but probably should work on it a lot more than we have.
- Whenever anyone comes near him to get something from him be a kid's toy, shoes, etc. he tries biting to get it back (play biting) hasn't really ever left marks only a few times when the person tries snatching their hand away and they get scraped from his teeth. We were told to give him something before you take the thing away so he doesn't try getting the toy back which we usually do.
Learn the rest and offer your suggestions when you read more.
- Tonight my stepson went to take away the treat bag (which Riley got off the counter) and Riley lunged at my stepson and left marks where he bit. Did not puncture the skin but it's red, puffy, and black and blue.
- He is also very energetic and wild. He took him on a 4.5 mile walk and this did not wear him out at all and our other dog was tired.
- He will growl at anyone if he is not getting his way. He has growled many times at me just because I put him in his kennel and he doesn't want to go in. He is trained and does know sit, down, leave it, give it, and we have been working on heel. He likes it his way or no way.
- My husband and I are going to talk tonight about whether he should go or not. I am afraid that if he does this to my little ones that they could get hurt worse because they are so little. I don't want any of my kids hurt because I kept him. My other kids don't usually take stuff away; we tell them not to but, if for some reason they did, he would try biting and I don't want them to get hurt. I have a 1 year old, 2 year old and a 3 year old that I don't want them to get bit or hurt by him. I'm not sure what to do. As of now, I want him gone because I am afraid of him hurting someone.
Please help our community member and offer any suggestions or tips in the comments below!